I frequently contribute to conferences as a speaker or panelist, and occasionally as a conference chair or program director. I like to explore topics around the impact of emerging technology (like Internet of Things or artificial intelligence), and what happens at the intersection of tech and society. In 2020, a strong focus is on trustable technology, how policy and the state can help guide technology in the interest of society, and concretely things like the intersection of smart cities and policy.
If you’d like to book me as a speaker for your in-house event, please get in touch.
ThingsCon Berlin Berlin (chair) · Interaction16 Helsinki (co-chair) · NEXT Berlin & Hamburg (program director) · Cognitive Cities Conference Berlin (co-chair) · ThingsCon Amsterdam Amsterdam · Mozilla Festival London · O’Reilly Solid San Francisco · Foo Camp Sebastopol · PICNIC Amsterdam · OpenIOT Assembly London · V&A Friday Late London · Bits&Commons Warsaw · Retune Festival Berlin · TechCare Copenhagen · Berlin@Tokyo Tokyo · German-Japanese Young Leaders Forum Berlin · Transatlantic Digital Debates Berlin · DevOpsCon Berlin · Das ist Netzpolitik Berlin · Webby Awards Berlin · CeBIT Hannover · Global Media Forum Bonn · Digitaler Salon Berlin · Underexposed Berlin · Dresden Future Space Dresden · New School New York City · SXSW Austin · ThingsCon Shenzhen Shenzhen · and others.
Below, an overview of past and upcoming public presentations.
- ThingsCon Conference: Closing remarks. (Rotterdam, 12-13 December 2019)
- Körber Stiftung & Open Knowledge Foundation: Forum Offene Stadt (Hamburg, 8 Nov 2019)
- FES: Digital Capitalism: Smart city, stupid citizen? Digital sovereignty and public services (Berlin, 29-30 October 2019)
- NEXT: Better urban metrics for smart cities (Hamburg, 19 September 2019)
- ThingsCon Salon Berlin: Public Interest Tech (Host, 5 September 2019)
- FES: Sicherheit, Selbstbestimmung, Fairness, Teilhabe – Handlungsempfehlungen für eine Verbraucherpolitik im digitalen Wandel (Berlin, 2 September 2019)
- Cybersicherheitspolitik in Deutschland 2019, Stiftung Neue Verantwortung, Berlin (19 June 2019)
- Call to Europe VIII: Time for Progress, Foundation of European Progressive Studies, Brussels (13-14 June 2019)
- ThingsCon Unconf, Berlin (24 May 2019)
- European Large-Scale Pilots Programme, Lisbon (27/28 Feb 2019)
- TU Delft Thing-Centered Design Lunch Lecture Series (19 Feb 2019)
- ThingsCon Conference Rotterdam (6-7 December 2018): Speaker & Co-Chair
- ThingsCon Conference Rotterdam (6-7 December 2018): Speaker & Co-Chair
- Mozilla Festival (26-28 October 2018, London)
- Magic Monday at Casa Jasmina (24 September 2018, Turin)
- ThingsCon Salon Cologne (3 August 2018): Speaker
- ThingsCon Salon Berlin (17 July 2018): Host & speaker
- ThingsCon Salon Antwerp (8 May 2018): MC
- ThingsCon Salon Berlin (4 April 2018): Host
- Good School: China — A Photo Story (Hamburg, 17. Nov 2017)
- Underexposed: The Internet of Sneaky Things (my slided) (Berlin, 9 Nov 2017)
- TU Dresden: Internet of Things: Bestandsaufnahme & Spannungsfelder (blog post & slides) (Dresden, 18. Oct 2017)
- Netzpolitik Konferenz: Das ist Netzpolitik! Titel: Das Internet der Dinge: Rechte, Regulierung & Spannungsfelder. (Blog post with slides and video.) (de, Berlin, 1 September 2017)
- ThingsCon Salon Berlin (Berlin, 13 July 2017)
- DevOpsCon: Shenzhen—IoT Gone Rogue (Berlin, 13 June 2017)
- Transatlantic Digital Debates (Berlin, 31 May 2017)
- ThingsCon Shenzhen: Host & intro (27 Apr 2017)
- ThingsCon Salon Berlin: Host & intro (23 Mar 2017) (presentation)
- ThingsCon Amsterdam: Keynote “A responsible Internet of Things” (1-2 Dec 2016) (blog post, video and slides)
- ThingsCon Salons Shanghai (4 Nov 2016) (blog post)
- Mozilla Festival 2016 (London, 28-30 Oct 2016)
- Retune Festival (Berlin, 6-8 Oct 2016)
- London Design Festival: Workshops and exhibition with The Good Home (London 19-24 Sep 2016)
- German-Japanese Young Leaders Forum 2016: Internet of Things – Promises and Challenges for Japan’s and Germany’s Economies (Berlin, 12 September 2016)
- ThingsCon Salon Amsterdam: Ethics & IoT – Dance like nobody’s watching, speaker at local ThingsCon satellite event (Amsterdam, 10 June 2016)
- Interaction 16: Co-Chair (Helsinki, 2-4 March 2016)
- Bits&Commons: Atoms & Bits & Commons (slides) (Warsaw, 29 Sep 2015)
- NEXT: Curator (Hamburg, 23-25 Sep 2015)
- Torino IoT Meetup at Casa Jasmina (Turin/Italy, 20 July 2015)
- ThingsCon 2015. Host and Conference Chair (Berlin, 8/9 May 2015)
- IXDS Pre-Work Talk, “Where’s the IoT & Wearables scene headed? Slides & video. (Berlin, 9 Dec 2014)
- ClueCamp Hamburg and Munich (20/21 Nov 2014)
- ThingsCon Amsterdam. Opening the conference in my role as co-founder if ThingsCon. (Amsterdam, 7 Nov 2014)
- At the V&A, I co-hosted (as part of the Connected team), a workshop on paper prototyping wearable technologies as part of the Friday Late series. (Blog post.) (London, 25 July 2014)
- FooCamp (Sebastopol, 20-22 June 2014)
- At Samurai Startup Island, I spoke about the future of the IoT business, ThingsCon and the potential of a Japan-Germany skill exchange for IoT people as part of the Berlin @ Tokyo Night. (Tokyo, 02 June 2014)
- At the Recruit Technology Advanced Technology Lab‘s Berlin Innovation Meetup in Tokyo I spoke about the future of the IoT business, ThingsCon and the potential of a Japan-Germany skill exchange for IoT people. (Tokyo, 29 May 2014)
- At O’Reilly Solid, a new O’Reilly conference about the convergence of hardware and software, I gave a talk exploring one questions: What Can Internet of Things Entrepreneurs and the Mittelstand Learn from Each Other? (My slides.)(San Francisco, 23 May 2014)
- At PETS Global Forum, an annual event for the global pet industry and trade, I spoke about the opportunities and challenges that new technologies like 3D printing present to the pets toys, accessories & food industry (Amsterdam, 23 January 2014)
- At eQualification 2013, a conference by the the German Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) about professional learning and working in a digital society, I joined a panel on chances and opportunities of digitization. (Berlin, 3 Dec 2013)
- At Humboldt Institut für Internet und Gesellschaft (HIIG), I joined a panel on 3D printing and open hardware. Organized by HIIG and DRadio Wissen as part of the series Digitaler Salon (Video) (Berlin, 26 June 2013)
- At NEXT Berlin 2013, in addition to being program director, I hosted a program session on Maker culture and joined a panel on Berlin’s startup economy and the city’s future. (Berlin, 23/24 April 2013)
- At Charité and Stiftung Brandenburger Tor, Berlin, I joined a panel about health, technology and health data called Facebook & Co, die Gesundheitsbroker von morgen? (Berlin, Nov 20, 2012)
- At the OpenIOT Assembly, London, I ran a session on cities (London, June 16 2012)
- At Foo Camp 2012, I ran a session called The Event Organizer Self Help Group (Sebastopol, 9 June 2012)
- At PICNIC 2011, I gave a workshop on Quantified Cities (Amsterdam, 14 Sept 2011)
- At Next Conference in Berlin I curated and hosted the Social Layer track (Berlin, May 2011) (disclosure: Next are clients of my company)
- At LHBS in Vienna, my partners and I gave an Uncomfortable Talk about digital disruption (Vienna, March 2011)
- At Convention Camp (Hannover, 10 November 2010) Igor Schwarzmann and I presented in the Smart Cities slot. The working title of our presentation: “Future of Cities: Change of Perspective”.
- At Ersatz Conference (Copenhagen, 19 June 2010) Igor Schwarzmann and I presented on Playful Cities and how technology can help us explore our physical environments in playful ways. (I took Johannes Kleske‘s part in a variation of this talk.)
- At links2010 (Berlin, 20 March 2010) I was on the panel “Netzpolitik” (net politics).
- At SXSW 2010 (Austin, 14 March 2010) I hosted a panel on Social Media in Europe and how to enter the market (summary).
- At Eugene Lang College of New School University (New York, 9 March 2010) I gave a brief introductory talk about Crowdsourcing vs Wisdom of the Crowd.
- At ISWA (Berlin, 15 Sept 2009) I gave a presentation about the influence of the internet on politics (slides here).
- For T-Systems MMS (Berlin, 19 June 2009) I moderated Dresden Future Space and and Digital Life Pitch.
- For Deutsche Welle (Bonn, 4 June 2009) I moderated a panel on Citizen Journalism with the winners of the Best of the Blogs Awards 2008 at Global Media Forum.
- At CeBIT Webciety (Hannover, 8 March 2009) I moderated a 4-hour panel / Open Space about life, work and culture on the web for T-Systems MMS with Steffen Büffel (videos available here).
- At the German installment of a Webby Awards night (Berlin, 7 Jan 2009) I spoke briefly about internet memes. (Naturally, my presentation contained a lot of cat pictures.)