I frequently contribute to conferences as a speaker or panelist, and occasionally as a conference chair or program director. I like to explore topics around the impact of emerging technology (like Internet of Things or artificial intelligence), and what happens at the intersection of tech and society. In 2018, a strong focus is on trustable technology, and concretely ThingsCon’s trustmark for IoT, the Trustable Tech mark.
If you’d like to book me as a speaker for your in-house event, please get in touch.
ThingsCon Berlin Berlin (chair) · Interaction16 Helsinki (co-chair) · NEXT Berlin & Hamburg (program director) · Cognitive Cities Conference Berlin (co-chair) · ThingsCon Amsterdam Amsterdam · Mozilla Festival London · O’Reilly Solid San Francisco · Foo Camp Sebastopol · PICNIC Amsterdam · OpenIOT Assembly London · V&A Friday Late London · Bits&Commons Warsaw · Retune Festival Berlin · Ersatz Copenhagen · Berlin@Tokyo Tokyo · German-Japanese Young Leaders Forum Berlin · Transatlantic Digital Debates Berlin · DevOpsCon Berlin · Das ist Netzpolitik Berlin · Webby Awards Berlin · CeBIT Hannover · Global Media Forum Bonn · Digitaler Salon Berlin · Underexposed Berlin · Dresden Future Space Dresden · New School New York City · SXSW Austin · ThingsCon Shenzhen Shenzhen · and others.
Below, an overview of past and upcoming public presentations.
- Magic Monday at Casa Jasmina (24 September 2018, Turin)
- Mozilla Festival (26-28 October 2018, London)
- ThingsCon Conference Rotterdam (6-7 December 2018): Speaker & Co-host
- ThingsCon Salon Cologne (3 August 2018): Speaker
- ThingsCon Salon Berlin (17 July 2018): Host & speaker
- ThingsCon Salon Antwerp (8 May 2018): MC
- ThingsCon Salon Berlin (4 April 2018): Host
- Good School: China — A Photo Story (Hamburg, 17. Nov 2017)
- Underexposed: The Internet of Sneaky Things (my slided) (Berlin, 9 Nov 2017)
- TU Dresden: Internet of Things: Bestandsaufnahme & Spannungsfelder (blog post & slides) (Dresden, 18. Oct 2017)
- Netzpolitik Konferenz: Das ist Netzpolitik! Titel: Das Internet der Dinge: Rechte, Regulierung & Spannungsfelder. (Blog post with slides and video.) (de, Berlin, 1 September 2017)
- ThingsCon Salon Berlin (Berlin, 13 July 2017)
- DevOpsCon: Shenzhen—IoT Gone Rogue (Berlin, 13 June 2017)
- Transatlantic Digital Debates (Berlin, 31 May 2017)
- ThingsCon Shenzhen: Host & intro (27 Apr 2017)
- ThingsCon Salon Berlin: Host & intro (23 Mar 2017) (presentation)
- ThingsCon Amsterdam: Keynote “A responsible Internet of Things” (1-2 Dec 2016) (blog post, video and slides)
- ThingsCon Salons Shanghai (4 Nov 2016) (blog post)
- Mozilla Festival 2016 (London, 28-30 Oct 2016)
- Retune Festival (Berlin, 6-8 Oct 2016)
- London Design Festival: Workshops and exhibition with The Good Home (London 19-24 Sep 2016)
- German-Japanese Young Leaders Forum 2016: Internet of Things – Promises and Challenges for Japan’s and Germany’s Economies (Berlin, 12 September 2016)
- ThingsCon Salon Amsterdam: Ethics & IoT – Dance like nobody’s watching, speaker at local ThingsCon satellite event (Amsterdam, 10 June 2016)
- Interaction 16: Co-Chair (Helsinki, 2-4 March 2016)
- Bits&Commons: Atoms & Bits & Commons (slides) (Warsaw, 29 Sep 2015)
- NEXT: Curator (Hamburg, 23-25 Sep 2015)
- Torino IoT Meetup at Casa Jasmina (Turin/Italy, 20 July 2015)
- ThingsCon 2015. Host and Conference Chair (Berlin, 8/9 May 2015)
- IXDS Pre-Work Talk, “Where’s the IoT & Wearables scene headed? Slides & video. (Berlin, 9 Dec 2014)
- ClueCamp Hamburg and Munich (20/21 Nov 2014)
- ThingsCon Amsterdam. Opening the conference in my role as co-founder if ThingsCon. (Amsterdam, 7 Nov 2014)
- At the V&A, I co-hosted (as part of the Connected team), a workshop on paper prototyping wearable technologies as part of the Friday Late series. (Blog post.) (London, 25 July 2014)
- FooCamp (Sebastopol, 20-22 June 2014)
- At Samurai Startup Island, I spoke about the future of the IoT business, ThingsCon and the potential of a Japan-Germany skill exchange for IoT people as part of the Berlin @ Tokyo Night. (Tokyo, 02 June 2014)
- At the Recruit Technology Advanced Technology Lab‘s Berlin Innovation Meetup in Tokyo I spoke about the future of the IoT business, ThingsCon and the potential of a Japan-Germany skill exchange for IoT people. (Tokyo, 29 May 2014)
- At O’Reilly Solid, a new O’Reilly conference about the convergence of hardware and software, I gave a talk exploring one questions: What Can Internet of Things Entrepreneurs and the Mittelstand Learn from Each Other? (My slides.)(San Francisco, 23 May 2014)
- At PETS Global Forum, an annual event for the global pet industry and trade, I spoke about the opportunities and challenges that new technologies like 3D printing present to the pets toys, accessories & food industry (Amsterdam, 23 January 2014)
- At eQualification 2013, a conference by the the German Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) about professional learning and working in a digital society, I joined a panel on chances and opportunities of digitization. (Berlin, 3 Dec 2013)
- At Humboldt Institut für Internet und Gesellschaft (HIIG), I joined a panel on 3D printing and open hardware. Organized by HIIG and DRadio Wissen as part of the series Digitaler Salon (Video) (Berlin, 26 June 2013)
- At NEXT Berlin 2013, in addition to being program director, I hosted a program session on Maker culture and joined a panel on Berlin’s startup economy and the city’s future. (Berlin, 23/24 April 2013)
- At Charité and Stiftung Brandenburger Tor, Berlin, I joined a panel about health, technology and health data called Facebook & Co, die Gesundheitsbroker von morgen? (Berlin, Nov 20, 2012)
- At the OpenIOT Assembly, London, I ran a session on cities (London, June 16 2012)
- At Foo Camp 2012, I ran a session called The Event Organizer Self Help Group (Sebastopol, 9 June 2012)
- At PICNIC 2011, I gave a workshop on Quantified Cities (Amsterdam, 14 Sept 2011)
- At Next Conference in Berlin I curated and hosted the Social Layer track (Berlin, May 2011) (disclosure: Next are clients of my company)
- At LHBS in Vienna, my partners and I gave an Uncomfortable Talk about digital disruption (Vienna, March 2011)
- At Convention Camp (Hannover, 10 November 2010) Igor Schwarzmann and I presented in the Smart Cities slot. The working title of our presentation: “Future of Cities: Change of Perspective”.
- At Ersatz Conference (Copenhagen, 19 June 2010) Igor Schwarzmann and I presented on Playful Cities and how technology can help us explore our physical environments in playful ways. (I took Johannes Kleske‘s part in a variation of this talk.)
- At links2010 (Berlin, 20 March 2010) I was on the panel “Netzpolitik” (net politics).
- At SXSW 2010 (Austin, 14 March 2010) I hosted a panel on Social Media in Europe and how to enter the market (summary).
- At Eugene Lang College of New School University (New York, 9 March 2010) I gave a brief introductory talk about Crowdsourcing vs Wisdom of the Crowd.
- At ISWA (Berlin, 15 Sept 2009) I gave a presentation about the influence of the internet on politics (slides here).
- For T-Systems MMS (Berlin, 19 June 2009) I moderated Dresden Future Space and and Digital Life Pitch.
- For Deutsche Welle (Bonn, 4 June 2009) I moderated a panel on Citizen Journalism with the winners of the Best of the Blogs Awards 2008 at Global Media Forum.
- At CeBIT Webciety (Hannover, 8 March 2009) I moderated a 4-hour panel / Open Space about life, work and culture on the web for T-Systems MMS with Steffen Büffel (videos available here).
- At the German installment of a Webby Awards night (Berlin, 7 Jan 2009) I spoke briefly about internet memes. (Naturally, my presentation contained a lot of cat pictures.)